Tuesday, May 18, 2010

for those of you who aren't in the know....here you go


job searching is exhausting.  just in general.  you always feel like you might be missing something or something could have come up in the past two seconds since you last looked at the website to change your life as you know it. 

job searching for teaching positions, is just ridiculous, in my opinion.  i don't know how it is everywhere else, but in our neck of the woods, it is just a rigamarole of mess.  you have to fill in each district's online webpage, then you have to wait til a job is posted, then you have to send in a cover letter (changed of course, for every position) and your resume.....again, to each individual position, just to reiterate that you are interested in THAT VERY POSITION. 

so, for each job posted, you figure you are doing at least 2 hours worth of filling in your GPA for your degree, for your whole college career, etc., even though they have that information in front of them on the actual transcripts that you had to order for them. 

these are just my job searching thoughts.  take them or leave them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is super hard here too! what a mess for sure......how do we not have money for education-crazy!

Kate said...

The people I work with at my part time job, HAVE to find work in order to be in the program. Imagine looking for work AND having a pending felony charge to contend with in the marketplace. I always tell them that at this point, quanitity is what's going to get you the job. I've had people fill out more than 30 applications in ONE day for not a SINGLE call back. It's disheartening, that's for sure. Keep at it! The right thing will find you!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Job searching is exhausting. There's no doubt about that. But, I don't know that it's that much more challenging in education than it is in many other industries. Each company has their own requirements. You have to write a cover letter to each company, for each position, even if you are interested in multiple positions. Sure, they may have this info in front of them, but what you input into a computer system is often used for searching and sorting large amounts of data ... your cover letter is what will catch the eye of the recruiter.

justme said...

I have applied for many other jobs as well, outside of the teaching sector. I find this process to be very tedious. I think the biggest difference is the repetition that is in the education sector, its unike anything else I've seen. Of course, in any job you need to customize what youre doing,. I'm all for that, but im sure not into answering questions three times for one job. Also, I find the education to be archaic in its processes. Talk about a waste of paper.....

a little something about me and the life i choose to live!

for those of you who aren't in the know....here you go

job searching is exhausting.  just in general.  you always feel like you might be missing something or something could have come up in the past two seconds since you last looked at the website to change your life as you know it. 

job searching for teaching positions, is just ridiculous, in my opinion.  i don't know how it is everywhere else, but in our neck of the woods, it is just a rigamarole of mess.  you have to fill in each district's online webpage, then you have to wait til a job is posted, then you have to send in a cover letter (changed of course, for every position) and your resume.....again, to each individual position, just to reiterate that you are interested in THAT VERY POSITION. 

so, for each job posted, you figure you are doing at least 2 hours worth of filling in your GPA for your degree, for your whole college career, etc., even though they have that information in front of them on the actual transcripts that you had to order for them. 

these are just my job searching thoughts.  take them or leave them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is super hard here too! what a mess for sure......how do we not have money for education-crazy!

Kate said...

The people I work with at my part time job, HAVE to find work in order to be in the program. Imagine looking for work AND having a pending felony charge to contend with in the marketplace. I always tell them that at this point, quanitity is what's going to get you the job. I've had people fill out more than 30 applications in ONE day for not a SINGLE call back. It's disheartening, that's for sure. Keep at it! The right thing will find you!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Job searching is exhausting. There's no doubt about that. But, I don't know that it's that much more challenging in education than it is in many other industries. Each company has their own requirements. You have to write a cover letter to each company, for each position, even if you are interested in multiple positions. Sure, they may have this info in front of them, but what you input into a computer system is often used for searching and sorting large amounts of data ... your cover letter is what will catch the eye of the recruiter.

justme said...

I have applied for many other jobs as well, outside of the teaching sector. I find this process to be very tedious. I think the biggest difference is the repetition that is in the education sector, its unike anything else I've seen. Of course, in any job you need to customize what youre doing,. I'm all for that, but im sure not into answering questions three times for one job. Also, I find the education to be archaic in its processes. Talk about a waste of paper.....