Thursday, March 4, 2010

to be cleaned, or not to be cleaned....


Barf brand laundry and dish soapsImage via Wikipedia
we were having a conversation today while t and i were both on our way to work.  it revolved around housecleaners and laudromats. 

when t lived in s. cackalackey (that's south carolina, for those of you that don't know), he had a roommate.  each week, this roommate brought his clothes (all of them) to the local laundromat for them to be washed, dried, and i'm assuming, folded.  t couldn't figure this one out. why, he thought, would someone have someone do something, that they were perfectly capable of doing on their own...and then pay them to do it.  how lazy, he thought. 

i agree to a certain extent.  i don't even dry clean a majority of my clothes.   the only times that my clothes see another place but our washer and dryer, is the one time a year that i bring my coats in and a couple choice sweaters. 

i am, however, on a whole other page about housekeepers.  i thought they were unnecessary...and i still do.  but holy cannaloni....i loved mine when i had one.  her name was maggie, she crossed the border, every other day, to come clean our house.  she did things like wash the mirrors and windows with vinegar and newspaper, something to this very day, i swear does amazing things.  she folded clothes, she washed things, probably washed things i didn't even know we had.  unfortunately for maggie, we lived in a place (el paso), where this was the norm and they didn't get paid very much at all for this.  she was incredible.  do i wish i had a maggie now?  somedays. 

how about you?  what do you think of hiring people for things that you are very capable of doing on your own? 
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Kate said...

I can't do it. Seems way too self-important. I just can't.

Claudine said...

I like hiring people to do housekeeping things. Of course, you can do it yourself, but sometimes you don't have enough time. And in my case, I also don't have the interest ;-)

Juni said...

I have been wanting to hire someone, but not b/c I'm lazy... (well, partly b/c I'm lazy) --

We do the normal stuff, dishes, vacuuming, laundry, etc. But the deap down cleaning (mirrors, dusting, windows, ledges, tubs, showers, toilets) doesn't get a lot of attention.

With 2 ppl working full-time here, it's hard, especially when you want to weekends free to recover.

Kathryn said...

Well, i'd question the "capable" part of me doing this. I've hired people to come do the cleaning for me off & on thru the years.

The first time was when i was working 3 jobs & never home to do it. I found there was nothing more wonderful than walking thru the door & knowing that my house was clean, that it was all done. Near heaven on earth for me. I've never been someone who enjoyed cleaning or found it relaxing, tho i know others do.

These days, living with chronic illness, hiring someone to do the work has become rather a necessity. I can do the work, but if i do i've no energy for anything else. I'd rather put my energy into the small amount of (paid) work i do, into visiting & enjoying friends, & other things rather than just keeping the house.

I do feel lazy having someone else clean my house, but oh, it is so wonderful!

a little something about me and the life i choose to live!

to be cleaned, or not to be cleaned....

Barf brand laundry and dish soapsImage via Wikipedia
we were having a conversation today while t and i were both on our way to work.  it revolved around housecleaners and laudromats. 

when t lived in s. cackalackey (that's south carolina, for those of you that don't know), he had a roommate.  each week, this roommate brought his clothes (all of them) to the local laundromat for them to be washed, dried, and i'm assuming, folded.  t couldn't figure this one out. why, he thought, would someone have someone do something, that they were perfectly capable of doing on their own...and then pay them to do it.  how lazy, he thought. 

i agree to a certain extent.  i don't even dry clean a majority of my clothes.   the only times that my clothes see another place but our washer and dryer, is the one time a year that i bring my coats in and a couple choice sweaters. 

i am, however, on a whole other page about housekeepers.  i thought they were unnecessary...and i still do.  but holy cannaloni....i loved mine when i had one.  her name was maggie, she crossed the border, every other day, to come clean our house.  she did things like wash the mirrors and windows with vinegar and newspaper, something to this very day, i swear does amazing things.  she folded clothes, she washed things, probably washed things i didn't even know we had.  unfortunately for maggie, we lived in a place (el paso), where this was the norm and they didn't get paid very much at all for this.  she was incredible.  do i wish i had a maggie now?  somedays. 

how about you?  what do you think of hiring people for things that you are very capable of doing on your own? 
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Kate said...

I can't do it. Seems way too self-important. I just can't.

Claudine said...

I like hiring people to do housekeeping things. Of course, you can do it yourself, but sometimes you don't have enough time. And in my case, I also don't have the interest ;-)

Juni said...

I have been wanting to hire someone, but not b/c I'm lazy... (well, partly b/c I'm lazy) --

We do the normal stuff, dishes, vacuuming, laundry, etc. But the deap down cleaning (mirrors, dusting, windows, ledges, tubs, showers, toilets) doesn't get a lot of attention.

With 2 ppl working full-time here, it's hard, especially when you want to weekends free to recover.

Kathryn said...

Well, i'd question the "capable" part of me doing this. I've hired people to come do the cleaning for me off & on thru the years.

The first time was when i was working 3 jobs & never home to do it. I found there was nothing more wonderful than walking thru the door & knowing that my house was clean, that it was all done. Near heaven on earth for me. I've never been someone who enjoyed cleaning or found it relaxing, tho i know others do.

These days, living with chronic illness, hiring someone to do the work has become rather a necessity. I can do the work, but if i do i've no energy for anything else. I'd rather put my energy into the small amount of (paid) work i do, into visiting & enjoying friends, & other things rather than just keeping the house.

I do feel lazy having someone else clean my house, but oh, it is so wonderful!