Wednesday, March 3, 2010

the reunion...or three


Burleson Quadrangle, Baylor University, TexasImage via Wikipedia
i went to Baylor when i went away to college.  why?  i don't know.  the decision went somewhat  like this:  i was going to an east coast school.  we were at a college fair, my dad said, "why don't you go to Baylor's room and hear what they are about?"  i said no.  he persisted.  we got in a fight.  i pouted through a presentation about Baylor.  and then somehow ended up with my mom, in waco, checking it out.  we drove through the ghetto, but past the ghetto, or should i say, right smack dab in the middle of it....was a beautiful school.  i mean, look at it...and yes, that is it in the picture.  i lived and put up with they put up with me, the girl that came from colorado, that wore just birkenstocks, had her hair parted down the middle and had never worn a belt in her life.  i learned some tricks, albeit maybe not good ones.  for instance, did you know that a huge bow in your hair hides any bad hair days?  did you know also that heels with shorts are mandatory in some states?  and finally, did you know that having brown hair in some places, very much makes you feel like a minority? 

anyway, i think the lure of being able to come home, outweighed the coolness of going to school far away from home and never looking back...so there i went. 

this week, i'm in an interesting situation.  i'm having reunions with three people from school, that i haven't seen since school and really, wasn't even in touch with for many years of those 14. 

one is a friend that i will call a friend forever.  he is a gem.  he was so not like baylor, that in fact, he left part way, and moved back home to Oregon.  he's now married to a beautiful girl, just had an even more beautiful baby and is happy. 

one is friend that i lost touch with for a purpose.  i don't remember quite what the purpose was, but i think there was one.  we drifted apart after being very close for years.  she was very close with my ex-husband, had a better bond than me, with his family and after a fateful trip that she took to el paso to visit him, i don't know what happened, but we never really spoke to her again.  she had no idea that i had gotten married to one of her closest friends, until we spoke, about 5 years ago. 

then there is next week.  this is a friend that i was "friend soulmates" with.  we were like peas and carrots.  she was awesome, she came home with me for our freshman spring break, we had a blast.  we were supposed to live together and something happened and she just said she couldn't.  i was so confused.  i continued to be confused when she lived in her own apartment off-campus and acted so weird when i stopped by.  i continued to be even more confused when she left Baylor.  i didnt' hear from her again.  i think i called her and somehow found her when i was married and living in el paso.  when i was single again and traveling, i got a layover in her hometown so that i could see her, and got it for 4 hours coming and going, at her request.  i got to my layover destination and called....nothing.  i'm not kidding.  there was never an answer.  since then, we've connected again over facebook and such, but i'm not really banking on the fact that this is really going to happen. 

it's just weird, all this all at once.  i'm really excited about some parts, anticipating disappointment in others, maybe.  it's a wild ride, this life. 
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Claudine said...

huge bow on your hair on bad hair days? hhmmm... maybe I should try it ;-)

It's always good to reconnect with people from our pasts. Sometimes I think of the people I was good freinds but lost touch with and I feel a huge sense of loss.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I think there's a lot to be said about jumping out of your small fishbowl to go to college somewhere else. I left the northeast to go to a big, southern state school. Talk about a fish out of water. Though, I doubt I will ever move back to the south, spending four years there was perfect. I met some amazing people. It opened my eyes to a part of the country I'd never know otherwise. And it was for this relatively short, finite period of time. I don't ever regret making that decision. Though, it would've been nice if people stopped calling me Yankee. =)

Here's hoping your reunions go well!

June said...

Hey!! Have fun in TX, I love it there :-) -- are you going to be down in time for the marathon? I thought you mentioned /no / but I don't remember.

a little something about me and the life i choose to live!

the reunion...or three

Burleson Quadrangle, Baylor University, TexasImage via Wikipedia
i went to Baylor when i went away to college.  why?  i don't know.  the decision went somewhat  like this:  i was going to an east coast school.  we were at a college fair, my dad said, "why don't you go to Baylor's room and hear what they are about?"  i said no.  he persisted.  we got in a fight.  i pouted through a presentation about Baylor.  and then somehow ended up with my mom, in waco, checking it out.  we drove through the ghetto, but past the ghetto, or should i say, right smack dab in the middle of it....was a beautiful school.  i mean, look at it...and yes, that is it in the picture.  i lived and put up with they put up with me, the girl that came from colorado, that wore just birkenstocks, had her hair parted down the middle and had never worn a belt in her life.  i learned some tricks, albeit maybe not good ones.  for instance, did you know that a huge bow in your hair hides any bad hair days?  did you know also that heels with shorts are mandatory in some states?  and finally, did you know that having brown hair in some places, very much makes you feel like a minority? 

anyway, i think the lure of being able to come home, outweighed the coolness of going to school far away from home and never looking back...so there i went. 

this week, i'm in an interesting situation.  i'm having reunions with three people from school, that i haven't seen since school and really, wasn't even in touch with for many years of those 14. 

one is a friend that i will call a friend forever.  he is a gem.  he was so not like baylor, that in fact, he left part way, and moved back home to Oregon.  he's now married to a beautiful girl, just had an even more beautiful baby and is happy. 

one is friend that i lost touch with for a purpose.  i don't remember quite what the purpose was, but i think there was one.  we drifted apart after being very close for years.  she was very close with my ex-husband, had a better bond than me, with his family and after a fateful trip that she took to el paso to visit him, i don't know what happened, but we never really spoke to her again.  she had no idea that i had gotten married to one of her closest friends, until we spoke, about 5 years ago. 

then there is next week.  this is a friend that i was "friend soulmates" with.  we were like peas and carrots.  she was awesome, she came home with me for our freshman spring break, we had a blast.  we were supposed to live together and something happened and she just said she couldn't.  i was so confused.  i continued to be confused when she lived in her own apartment off-campus and acted so weird when i stopped by.  i continued to be even more confused when she left Baylor.  i didnt' hear from her again.  i think i called her and somehow found her when i was married and living in el paso.  when i was single again and traveling, i got a layover in her hometown so that i could see her, and got it for 4 hours coming and going, at her request.  i got to my layover destination and called....nothing.  i'm not kidding.  there was never an answer.  since then, we've connected again over facebook and such, but i'm not really banking on the fact that this is really going to happen. 

it's just weird, all this all at once.  i'm really excited about some parts, anticipating disappointment in others, maybe.  it's a wild ride, this life. 
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Claudine said...

huge bow on your hair on bad hair days? hhmmm... maybe I should try it ;-)

It's always good to reconnect with people from our pasts. Sometimes I think of the people I was good freinds but lost touch with and I feel a huge sense of loss.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I think there's a lot to be said about jumping out of your small fishbowl to go to college somewhere else. I left the northeast to go to a big, southern state school. Talk about a fish out of water. Though, I doubt I will ever move back to the south, spending four years there was perfect. I met some amazing people. It opened my eyes to a part of the country I'd never know otherwise. And it was for this relatively short, finite period of time. I don't ever regret making that decision. Though, it would've been nice if people stopped calling me Yankee. =)

Here's hoping your reunions go well!

June said...

Hey!! Have fun in TX, I love it there :-) -- are you going to be down in time for the marathon? I thought you mentioned /no / but I don't remember.