Thursday, July 15, 2010

my veggie booty


i went to pick up the CSA share today!  it was a blast...i was looking forward to it all day long.  i showed up at a local brewery and went inside, found my name and took a bin.  it held all of this:

in this, there was some of this:
and some of this:
and finally, some of this:


you may think i'm being cute and saying "this" just because, but really it's because i don't know what half this stuff is, ha ha!!!

Just kidding, i know what all the stuff pictured is.  all in all, we got:

  1. two heads of romaine lettuce
  2. bag of spring greens
  3. radishes
  4. baby beets
  5. kale
  6. chard (i think)
  7. a bag of cut up and cleaned rhubarb
  8. garlic scapes
  9. cilantro (barf)
  10. green onions
Pretty good.  it's supposed to feed 2-3 people and I'm splitting it with my parents.  I think that we could have gotten the family share and been a little better off, but this was all about learning.  it will definitely force me to eat different things and try new things, as i don't believe chard has ever been a staple in my diet.

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

becauseofmatch.com said...

I have to be honest here, I'm a bit ignorant to this CSA stuff, and only heard about it through your postings... I was picturing a bag of dirty veggies straight picked from a farm... LOL, I don't know why, b/c I know not everything has dirt all over it, but these all look so fresh and tasty. I don't think I've ever had chard before or rhubarb either -- have fun with it all and enjoy!

Kathryn said...

wow! i'm envious. :)

I have to wait until Tuesday, Farmer's Market. (And i'll have to go in that jeep!)

;)

justme said...

some of the veggies were dirtier than others (beets), but for the most part, pretty clean. you can volunteer for the CSA and get $90 off the cost of your membership, if you work a certain number of hours a season. During that time, it's my understanding that volunteers clean and wash the veggies

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Very nice! We did a great CSA when we lived in CO and LOVED it.

Swiss chard is fantastic- we grew some in our garden this year and it is flourishing! My husband just made a frittata with swiss chard (instead of spinach). We also used it in homemade empanadas. My favorite thing is to braise it- a little chicken stock, some garlic, some onions, cook it down, put some salt and pepper on it. Delish!

a little something about me and the life i choose to live!

my veggie booty

i went to pick up the CSA share today!  it was a blast...i was looking forward to it all day long.  i showed up at a local brewery and went inside, found my name and took a bin.  it held all of this:

in this, there was some of this:
and some of this:
and finally, some of this:


you may think i'm being cute and saying "this" just because, but really it's because i don't know what half this stuff is, ha ha!!!

Just kidding, i know what all the stuff pictured is.  all in all, we got:

  1. two heads of romaine lettuce
  2. bag of spring greens
  3. radishes
  4. baby beets
  5. kale
  6. chard (i think)
  7. a bag of cut up and cleaned rhubarb
  8. garlic scapes
  9. cilantro (barf)
  10. green onions
Pretty good.  it's supposed to feed 2-3 people and I'm splitting it with my parents.  I think that we could have gotten the family share and been a little better off, but this was all about learning.  it will definitely force me to eat different things and try new things, as i don't believe chard has ever been a staple in my diet.

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

becauseofmatch.com said...

I have to be honest here, I'm a bit ignorant to this CSA stuff, and only heard about it through your postings... I was picturing a bag of dirty veggies straight picked from a farm... LOL, I don't know why, b/c I know not everything has dirt all over it, but these all look so fresh and tasty. I don't think I've ever had chard before or rhubarb either -- have fun with it all and enjoy!

Kathryn said...

wow! i'm envious. :)

I have to wait until Tuesday, Farmer's Market. (And i'll have to go in that jeep!)

;)

justme said...

some of the veggies were dirtier than others (beets), but for the most part, pretty clean. you can volunteer for the CSA and get $90 off the cost of your membership, if you work a certain number of hours a season. During that time, it's my understanding that volunteers clean and wash the veggies

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Very nice! We did a great CSA when we lived in CO and LOVED it.

Swiss chard is fantastic- we grew some in our garden this year and it is flourishing! My husband just made a frittata with swiss chard (instead of spinach). We also used it in homemade empanadas. My favorite thing is to braise it- a little chicken stock, some garlic, some onions, cook it down, put some salt and pepper on it. Delish!