i just can't put a finger on what i'm feeling. i've gone over it in my head, "are you depressed? NO. are you sad? NO. are you confused? NO. o.k, maybe i'm confused."
it has to do with a couple things. first, the incident with the trainer. it was funny, yes, it was actually hilarious. but in the meantime, it started solidifying an idea in my head, that had been floating around for some time. secondly, another incident happened, that compounded that idea.
when i was with bonehead,
i get this way every once in a while, i think. i think of it as my, "i'm losing faith in all humanity when all i want is to have it." phase. I realize how dangerous this phase is, especially when all i've wanted to do is counsel kids. it's that phase in between "you can do anything you want!!" and "you're screwed!".
i want to have friends that want to be my friend. i want to have people in my life that i can say, without a doubt, "they are there for me through anything". i want to have people that i could talk to every day, if i wanted. i think i've lost many friends through the natural progression of kid-land. this is when your friends have kids and you don't and it's not that you don't have anything in common anymore, but mostly that well, they are busy doing what they should be doing....taking care of their kid.
these times are when i cling tightly to blog-world too. for some reason, it feels safer than the world that is around me right now, and i think that is ultimately what i'm wanting. the safety that there are people in my life that are a given. they will always be there and want to be there and the shocker of it all, is that that is just not reality and for some reason, in a span of a week, it's just being shown in 3D to me.
i will say that my friend who had her cute little bundle of joy last week has thoroughly been a great exception. she has updated me along the way and has kept me in the loop of it all through thick and thin....i think this is why we've been friends for so long and will likely continue to, even though she is in kid-land now.....
all this to say, i'm feeling a little disenchanted by things right now.


5 comments:
I think the hard thing about the trainer situation and the favor-asking situation is you feel you've been rejected. Or you feel you're only good to those people under certain circumstances.
It's absolutely acceptable for you to want your friends to be more than these silo'd, only good in certain situation friends. And so, to that, I say you have a choice. You still have control over the situation. You can reject the trainer and search for a new one. Or you can keep the trainer, but know she's only good when you pay for her hourly. And the same holds true with the favor-asking friend. You can say no.
It's all about how circumstances have changed. You've learned more about the people. And now you get to decide how you want them to fit into your world, if at all. But, don't become disenchanted. There are still so many gems in the world worthy of your time.
I am a big believer in the goodness of humanity. I have to be. It's my nature. And that means I get opened up to a lot of hurt. I remember telling someone that I didn't think I could be anything other than that and he said, "Then you'll learn to deal with the disappointment." And he is right. It's hard, but I don't want to do anything but think the best of people. And when they shit on me? I deal with it and move on.
I'm all about granting the favor and then severing the relationship. I mean, it's not your fault she turned out to be selfish, but you can love her the way she is and then choose not to associate with her anymore. I make that choice a lot.
Nilsa, totally agree...i do have choices in this. i was realizing i wasn't AS excited about training when i thought about it yesterday. i realized that i needed to compartmentalize the way i thought about the trainer. you are right...she is someone that i am paying for a service. i was taken off guard maybe last week, when i was saying that most of my friends had children and she said, "well, i'm your friend and i don't have kids". i needed to be realistic and realize that no, she isn't my friend, she is my trainer.
hard because i've always had such a small group of friends, and now i realize, i think, why.
even harder, because, like you Kate, i'm SUCH the believer in humanity. i love waking up thinking the best about people and the world in general. i think it's times like these that really catch me off guard and notice that things aren't always the way that i thought.
I don't know what to say except I feel ya on this...
But, I'm your friend and I don't have kids!!! LOL... sucks that we live worlds away -- but thankfully we have blog-land. :) and if / when we do have kids, we'll still have blog-land. hahaha
I have to post on this topic now, b/c it's such a good one --
Post a Comment