Monday, January 25, 2010
$40 a week!
we kicked off the challenge today of eating on $40/week. i know, it's going to be very hard. we are used to going out to eat at least once, but more like 2 or 3 times a week. for those of you that do this, you know how expensive it is. no matter where it is...if it's a "normally" priced restaurant, we do not get out of there without spending $20.00. No big deal, but over the course of a year...a BIG DEAL.
i went to the store yesterday and started shopping for this experiment. i bought: lean hamburger, rice, broccoli, carrots, potatoes, onions, green pepper, wonder bread, 3/4 pounds of deli ham, claussen pickles, cocktail peanuts, country crock and two things of rice milk.
we are giving ourselves $20.00/week leeway, as we know that things come up. we are not going to hamper our social lives over this, and if we get an opportunity to go out with friends, of course we will. but for the most part...it's hitting the kitchen at home.
a little something about me and the life i choose to live!
$40 a week!
we kicked off the challenge today of eating on $40/week. i know, it's going to be very hard. we are used to going out to eat at least once, but more like 2 or 3 times a week. for those of you that do this, you know how expensive it is. no matter where it is...if it's a "normally" priced restaurant, we do not get out of there without spending $20.00. No big deal, but over the course of a year...a BIG DEAL.
i went to the store yesterday and started shopping for this experiment. i bought: lean hamburger, rice, broccoli, carrots, potatoes, onions, green pepper, wonder bread, 3/4 pounds of deli ham, claussen pickles, cocktail peanuts, country crock and two things of rice milk.
we are giving ourselves $20.00/week leeway, as we know that things come up. we are not going to hamper our social lives over this, and if we get an opportunity to go out with friends, of course we will. but for the most part...it's hitting the kitchen at home.
4 comments:
- Kate said...
-
THis is a great challenge. I finally realized how much of my paycheck I was throwing away by eating hospital food for lunch every day. Duh. So, I bought spinach, feta, strawberries and bottled up some balsamic vinegar and oil dressing with cracked pepper. And let me tell you, it tasted awesome and I KNEW I was saving money. I get to have it today, too!
-
January 26, 2010 at 7:03 AM
- Typette said...
-
Wow, you got a lot for $40. I tried my best to budget when I first left my job. Did great, coupons were a saving grace... But then, it just got HARD b/c M and I don't eat the same foods. We couldn't get down to less than $300 a month, I will stay tuned to see how you do it -- b/c I really need to learn. LOL $160/month would be AWESOME --
-
January 26, 2010 at 7:16 AM
- Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...
-
Totally impressed! Sweets and I are going to meet with a financial planner next week, so we might be very quickly joining you on that challenge. =)
-
January 26, 2010 at 11:30 AM
- justme said...
-
t and i eat different foods as well. like, just about every night. but so far it's worked.
-
January 26, 2010 at 6:52 PM


4 comments:
THis is a great challenge. I finally realized how much of my paycheck I was throwing away by eating hospital food for lunch every day. Duh. So, I bought spinach, feta, strawberries and bottled up some balsamic vinegar and oil dressing with cracked pepper. And let me tell you, it tasted awesome and I KNEW I was saving money. I get to have it today, too!
Wow, you got a lot for $40. I tried my best to budget when I first left my job. Did great, coupons were a saving grace... But then, it just got HARD b/c M and I don't eat the same foods. We couldn't get down to less than $300 a month, I will stay tuned to see how you do it -- b/c I really need to learn. LOL $160/month would be AWESOME --
Totally impressed! Sweets and I are going to meet with a financial planner next week, so we might be very quickly joining you on that challenge. =)
t and i eat different foods as well. like, just about every night. but so far it's worked.
Post a Comment