Wednesday, October 14, 2009
this whole thing....
it is so funny that years ago, i had no idea that there was this girl in New Jersey that was hapa, like me, and that i would share so many things with and be friends with for years to come. the fact that we met face to face...amazing. the fact that i think we would be friends if we were to live in same place...even more amazing.
the fact that I get wrapped up in the stories of a handful of people's lives and know about the ins and outs of their days? that's fantastic.
I had and have had instances where people that I'm reading about have fallen off the face of the earth...and the same has happened to me too. i get notes of concern after a while....it's all so awesome.
when you see friends in everyday life, you KNOW something is going on with them. you know it. you may not know it that day, or month, but you eventually find out.
i have thoughts that with this internet friendshippy thing that you may NOT know when something happens. No one is forced to write when they are feeling down and for that matter,they don't have to act sad when they really are sad. you could act happy and no one would know the difference.
i think that these friendships are based much more on trust than a typcial one. trust that a person will let you know if something is not right. trust that they trust the internet as a whole to put their thoughts down and trust that you will not be vile with their real thoughts, if they so choose to put them down in writing.
i love it
a little something about me and the life i choose to live!
this whole thing....
it is so funny that years ago, i had no idea that there was this girl in New Jersey that was hapa, like me, and that i would share so many things with and be friends with for years to come. the fact that we met face to face...amazing. the fact that i think we would be friends if we were to live in same place...even more amazing.
the fact that I get wrapped up in the stories of a handful of people's lives and know about the ins and outs of their days? that's fantastic.
I had and have had instances where people that I'm reading about have fallen off the face of the earth...and the same has happened to me too. i get notes of concern after a while....it's all so awesome.
when you see friends in everyday life, you KNOW something is going on with them. you know it. you may not know it that day, or month, but you eventually find out.
i have thoughts that with this internet friendshippy thing that you may NOT know when something happens. No one is forced to write when they are feeling down and for that matter,they don't have to act sad when they really are sad. you could act happy and no one would know the difference.
i think that these friendships are based much more on trust than a typcial one. trust that a person will let you know if something is not right. trust that they trust the internet as a whole to put their thoughts down and trust that you will not be vile with their real thoughts, if they so choose to put them down in writing.
i love it
3 comments:
- Kathryn said...
-
Wow. Just wow.
You have hit it here.
One of the things i've pondered recently is how the internet has somewhat defined my relationships.
I've someone very dear to me who never writes or responds when i send an actual email letter. She sends on the cutesy or religious things that come her way but never adds a personal note at all. (We live very far apart now.) I've invited her to my blog several times but it just doesn't interest her, i guess. Now this is someone who in the past was a dear confident & we spent a lot of time on the phone sharing. (And i've a few other friends similar.)
Contrast that, the folks i've met online. I've email pals. (I met one in person this past summer when traveling in her area. She & her husband put us up in a motel in their town for a night & that because their house was too small to stay with them.) I've people i've met thru blogs & who comment on my blog & seem to care when things are happening for me.
Someone also recently wrote me of an author from about 100 years ago who eventually committed suicide (probably) because she was so isolated, & she wondered what would have happened had she lived now where she could have connected.
Thank you for sharing this. I love the bloggy world as i love the chance to connect. I only discovered blogs in January, & at first it felt funny reading about folks' private worlds, but it is wonderful that we have the opportunity to meet others this way. :) -
October 14, 2009 at 9:04 AM
- Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...
-
Maybe these internet friendships should serve as a model for everyday friendships, no?
-
October 14, 2009 at 11:24 AM
- Typette said...
-
:-)
And so many people say that social interaction is getting worse via the net. Ha!
I feel like you are one of my closest friends, yet, we've only 'met' once... -
October 18, 2009 at 9:09 PM
![Reblog this post [with Zemanta]](http://img.zemanta.com/reblog_e.png?x-id=18acc57f-0273-442b-b5af-8de14c0adb1c)


3 comments:
Wow. Just wow.
You have hit it here.
One of the things i've pondered recently is how the internet has somewhat defined my relationships.
I've someone very dear to me who never writes or responds when i send an actual email letter. She sends on the cutesy or religious things that come her way but never adds a personal note at all. (We live very far apart now.) I've invited her to my blog several times but it just doesn't interest her, i guess. Now this is someone who in the past was a dear confident & we spent a lot of time on the phone sharing. (And i've a few other friends similar.)
Contrast that, the folks i've met online. I've email pals. (I met one in person this past summer when traveling in her area. She & her husband put us up in a motel in their town for a night & that because their house was too small to stay with them.) I've people i've met thru blogs & who comment on my blog & seem to care when things are happening for me.
Someone also recently wrote me of an author from about 100 years ago who eventually committed suicide (probably) because she was so isolated, & she wondered what would have happened had she lived now where she could have connected.
Thank you for sharing this. I love the bloggy world as i love the chance to connect. I only discovered blogs in January, & at first it felt funny reading about folks' private worlds, but it is wonderful that we have the opportunity to meet others this way. :)
Maybe these internet friendships should serve as a model for everyday friendships, no?
:-)
And so many people say that social interaction is getting worse via the net. Ha!
I feel like you are one of my closest friends, yet, we've only 'met' once...
Post a Comment