Wednesday, September 15, 2010

dinner oats


Image by @heylovedc via Flickrthere are a few trends that i haven't caught onto in the blogging world.  i have tried green monsters, loved them.  tried overnight oats, loved them.  so, i determined that i needed a little nutritional yeast in my diet.  I made cheezy oats, without the cheese and adapted from THIS recipe. 
39/365: Giant Can of Nutritional Yeast 2/8/2010

i added some avocado and a couple saltines, as i didn't have some crackers of any other kind.  it was really quite good.  i'll definitely be making it again.  it was a bit weird getting used to the concept of using oats for dinner, but really, once i started thinking of them as rice-like things...it worked out pretty good. 

Apparently nutritional yeast adds a nutty, cheezy flavor to things.  people love them on vegetables and it has turned many a non-veggie eater, to a veggie eater.  so, that, in and of itself...priceless. 

i picked up the loot from the farm share today.  It had three cucumbers, dill, cilantro, italian parsely, regular parsely, roma tomatoes, kohlrabe, 4 ears of corn, green onions, carrots, peppers of some sort, a head of lettuce.  I changed my pick up location and the lady's house where I pick it up now is SO nice.  I had been picking it up at a brewery and that was fine...but this lady is friendly, talks about the veggies and shares anything that she has with us.  she had picked a million apples from her mom's trees and was just wanting us to take them.  she's sweet. 

let's see...i'm plotting my weekend already.  it will really be my first, since i've started this job, where i can not have a million things to do or places to go.  you are dying to know what i'm doing?  well, first off, i'm buying a fish.  i decided that i needed one at work.  secondly, i'm organizing under my bathroom sink.  i don't know if you remember, but about a year ago, i used tons of coupons to buy tons of things for next to nothing.  well, i've still not gone thorugh the majority of the things, such as shaving cream, shampoo, etc.  it's a mess underneath there and it needs to be organized, so that when i pull out one box, it has all my makeup, etc.  thirdly, i'm going to an antique sale in Prospect.  Prospect is a kind of town in a town near where i work.  it's made up of a lot of artists and such and they have some fun things there.  our waiter from a nearby restaurant has been talking about this event for years, so i'm going. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

Kate said...

I've been hesitant about the dinner oats. But I'd definitely have to have the nutritional yeast. Cheese, baby!

Pea said...

I'm too picky for the likes of that....

I am intrigued by Prospect. What you going to name your fish?

Pea said...

what ARE you I mean....

The Wifey said...

Oooooh I can't wait to see what you get in Prospect. That sounds exciting, I looooove antiques. The special finds that aren't marked up yet LOL

Yeah, what are you going to name your fish?!

PS... you have to show us a pic of the dinner oats, b/c I am imagining a pile of yellow mush.

justme said...

i will take some pictures of the oats, j. however, i'm afraid that you will not be impressed. it looks pretty much like how you described it. it just tastes a LOT better. for some reason the Tumeric is a necessary ingredient. I tried it last night without, and quickly added some!

a little something about me and the life i choose to live!

dinner oats

Image by @heylovedc via Flickrthere are a few trends that i haven't caught onto in the blogging world.  i have tried green monsters, loved them.  tried overnight oats, loved them.  so, i determined that i needed a little nutritional yeast in my diet.  I made cheezy oats, without the cheese and adapted from THIS recipe. 
39/365: Giant Can of Nutritional Yeast 2/8/2010

i added some avocado and a couple saltines, as i didn't have some crackers of any other kind.  it was really quite good.  i'll definitely be making it again.  it was a bit weird getting used to the concept of using oats for dinner, but really, once i started thinking of them as rice-like things...it worked out pretty good. 

Apparently nutritional yeast adds a nutty, cheezy flavor to things.  people love them on vegetables and it has turned many a non-veggie eater, to a veggie eater.  so, that, in and of itself...priceless. 

i picked up the loot from the farm share today.  It had three cucumbers, dill, cilantro, italian parsely, regular parsely, roma tomatoes, kohlrabe, 4 ears of corn, green onions, carrots, peppers of some sort, a head of lettuce.  I changed my pick up location and the lady's house where I pick it up now is SO nice.  I had been picking it up at a brewery and that was fine...but this lady is friendly, talks about the veggies and shares anything that she has with us.  she had picked a million apples from her mom's trees and was just wanting us to take them.  she's sweet. 

let's see...i'm plotting my weekend already.  it will really be my first, since i've started this job, where i can not have a million things to do or places to go.  you are dying to know what i'm doing?  well, first off, i'm buying a fish.  i decided that i needed one at work.  secondly, i'm organizing under my bathroom sink.  i don't know if you remember, but about a year ago, i used tons of coupons to buy tons of things for next to nothing.  well, i've still not gone thorugh the majority of the things, such as shaving cream, shampoo, etc.  it's a mess underneath there and it needs to be organized, so that when i pull out one box, it has all my makeup, etc.  thirdly, i'm going to an antique sale in Prospect.  Prospect is a kind of town in a town near where i work.  it's made up of a lot of artists and such and they have some fun things there.  our waiter from a nearby restaurant has been talking about this event for years, so i'm going. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

Kate said...

I've been hesitant about the dinner oats. But I'd definitely have to have the nutritional yeast. Cheese, baby!

Pea said...

I'm too picky for the likes of that....

I am intrigued by Prospect. What you going to name your fish?

Pea said...

what ARE you I mean....

The Wifey said...

Oooooh I can't wait to see what you get in Prospect. That sounds exciting, I looooove antiques. The special finds that aren't marked up yet LOL

Yeah, what are you going to name your fish?!

PS... you have to show us a pic of the dinner oats, b/c I am imagining a pile of yellow mush.

justme said...

i will take some pictures of the oats, j. however, i'm afraid that you will not be impressed. it looks pretty much like how you described it. it just tastes a LOT better. for some reason the Tumeric is a necessary ingredient. I tried it last night without, and quickly added some!