Friday, September 11, 2009

is this making us more connected or further apart?


Libraries almost invariably contain long aisle...Image via Wikipedia

Image via Wikipedia
i went to the school library the other day...granted, it's been a good 9 years since i've stepped foot in one of those, but i found a profound change happening there. 

i walked in and headed to the computers to do some searching for some books, and noticed that there was only one computer open.  i also noticed that for the most part, the students on the gobs of computers there, were freshmen.  you may ask how i know, but you know as well as i do....there is a certain look.  anyway, after researching some, my curiousity got the best of me and i thought, "i wonder what freshman class has them working in the library in the first week?"  so, i sneaked a peek.  all of them were on the same thing....

FACEBOOK

that is weird, no?  they were all typing away like mad.  some were playing "farmtown", others were smiling as they were talking to high school friends.  all in all, a good atmosphere. 

then i started thinking about my own facebook experience.  how the one person that i have on there that is a college freshman, ALWAYS is writing posts to her high school friends.  they have full on conversations on their facebook walls.  Facebook is linked to their phones, computers, brains. 

i didn't have that when i was in school...and in fact, i don't think we really emailed all that much during my freshman year.  if we wanted to talk to friends, it had to be on the phone. 

i'm wondering how facebook and the things like it make it for college freshmen?  is it making them more connected with old friends, and less of a necessity to connect with new ones? 
Facebook, Inc.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

When I was a freshman, very few kids had their own computers. If so, it was merely for word processing. I didn't get an email account until my senior year. And used it twice. I didn't have a cell phone until after I graduated. And I didn't join Facebook until I was well into my 30's.

Like with anything, there are pros and cons to a generation so connected through the internet. I'm not sure what I believe, but I do believe their experiences are very different than mine.

Typette said...

Ah, this is such a hot topic these days. And alas, people can't really determine whether it is better or worse.

I guess, when the telephone was invented did people wonder if it made things less personal. Yanno, no face-to-face action and all. And before that, when the postal service started it's thang. Did people think it too impersonal to write letters as opposed to face-talk?

I like it, b/c I'm not the greatest with face-to-face with everyone. Sometimes I just don't want to make the effort. In some ways, I communicate more with some people that I wouldn't want to do face-2-face with and those that I wouldn't mind face-2-face with...well, it's definitely made things a lot less personal.

Face to face is more fun with certain people, eh?

a little something about me and the life i choose to live!

is this making us more connected or further apart?

Libraries almost invariably contain long aisle...Image via Wikipedia

Image via Wikipedia
i went to the school library the other day...granted, it's been a good 9 years since i've stepped foot in one of those, but i found a profound change happening there. 

i walked in and headed to the computers to do some searching for some books, and noticed that there was only one computer open.  i also noticed that for the most part, the students on the gobs of computers there, were freshmen.  you may ask how i know, but you know as well as i do....there is a certain look.  anyway, after researching some, my curiousity got the best of me and i thought, "i wonder what freshman class has them working in the library in the first week?"  so, i sneaked a peek.  all of them were on the same thing....

FACEBOOK

that is weird, no?  they were all typing away like mad.  some were playing "farmtown", others were smiling as they were talking to high school friends.  all in all, a good atmosphere. 

then i started thinking about my own facebook experience.  how the one person that i have on there that is a college freshman, ALWAYS is writing posts to her high school friends.  they have full on conversations on their facebook walls.  Facebook is linked to their phones, computers, brains. 

i didn't have that when i was in school...and in fact, i don't think we really emailed all that much during my freshman year.  if we wanted to talk to friends, it had to be on the phone. 

i'm wondering how facebook and the things like it make it for college freshmen?  is it making them more connected with old friends, and less of a necessity to connect with new ones? 
Facebook, Inc.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

When I was a freshman, very few kids had their own computers. If so, it was merely for word processing. I didn't get an email account until my senior year. And used it twice. I didn't have a cell phone until after I graduated. And I didn't join Facebook until I was well into my 30's.

Like with anything, there are pros and cons to a generation so connected through the internet. I'm not sure what I believe, but I do believe their experiences are very different than mine.

Typette said...

Ah, this is such a hot topic these days. And alas, people can't really determine whether it is better or worse.

I guess, when the telephone was invented did people wonder if it made things less personal. Yanno, no face-to-face action and all. And before that, when the postal service started it's thang. Did people think it too impersonal to write letters as opposed to face-talk?

I like it, b/c I'm not the greatest with face-to-face with everyone. Sometimes I just don't want to make the effort. In some ways, I communicate more with some people that I wouldn't want to do face-2-face with and those that I wouldn't mind face-2-face with...well, it's definitely made things a lot less personal.

Face to face is more fun with certain people, eh?