Monday, September 14, 2009

I may have only a slight problem


I was raised in a house that was a little different. I was raised on broadway musicals, plays, the theater, and food. By my dad. There are few things that I remember about growing up with my dad, which, I understand, is sad. But I remember many pieces of these things that go along with him. And no…he's straight He's the type of guy that has bought the same restaurant review book for years, and when he sees the author, he somehow knows her and goes to speak with her about her choices. He will not live further than 10 miles away from work, but he will drive hundreds of miles for food…but only if he's sure it will be worth it.

He will hear about a restaurant from specific people and if someone makes enough of a fuss about something...he'll be there, probably by that weekend. He passed this on to me, I think.

I love watching food tv. I will watch the travel channel, but only if it has something to do with food. On top of that, I'm finding myself buying concert tickets, not to Blink 182 or Greenday, but instead to a night of listening to Anthony Bourdain. I'm planning a trip to San Francisco with the main goal of hitting restaurants that I've seen on tv. Oh yes, I'm also meeting my friends baby. I get excited about food.

I see one thing possibly hindering this. That would be my latest lack of meat consumption. This will only stop me some, mind you. I tried some tofu and black bean enchiladas last night…they were spectacular.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was brought up to love the same things, except it was my Mom doing the raising. :)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Both my parents raised me with a lot of culture. My dad collects wine. My mom cooks gourmet as a hobby. They are a perfect match. I love having parents who are interested in food - it's not so hard to find great places to eat when they come to visit (unlike some people's parents who only like very bland & boring foods)!

Typette said...

That is awesome that you are going to SF for that. And awesome you are going to try all these restaurants...

Your enthusiasm for stuff like this is inspiring. For reals.

It is great when you go to the really 'good' restaurants and tell them you are vegetarian or vegan, they really do have some AWESOME dishes for those people. Just tell them you are V and you're good. Better than trying to find something on a menu and only finding a salad. BORING... not all restaurants do this, but the yummy good ones do!

Tofu is awesome in soooo many ways, and more and more I'm learning of the healing/health properties and now I appreciate it so much that I'm going to have to add this as a staple in my diet.

BTW< i sent the books, but they said it could take a week ... weird.
Sent them almost a week ago, i think.

a little something about me and the life i choose to live!

I may have only a slight problem

I was raised in a house that was a little different. I was raised on broadway musicals, plays, the theater, and food. By my dad. There are few things that I remember about growing up with my dad, which, I understand, is sad. But I remember many pieces of these things that go along with him. And no…he's straight He's the type of guy that has bought the same restaurant review book for years, and when he sees the author, he somehow knows her and goes to speak with her about her choices. He will not live further than 10 miles away from work, but he will drive hundreds of miles for food…but only if he's sure it will be worth it.

He will hear about a restaurant from specific people and if someone makes enough of a fuss about something...he'll be there, probably by that weekend. He passed this on to me, I think.

I love watching food tv. I will watch the travel channel, but only if it has something to do with food. On top of that, I'm finding myself buying concert tickets, not to Blink 182 or Greenday, but instead to a night of listening to Anthony Bourdain. I'm planning a trip to San Francisco with the main goal of hitting restaurants that I've seen on tv. Oh yes, I'm also meeting my friends baby. I get excited about food.

I see one thing possibly hindering this. That would be my latest lack of meat consumption. This will only stop me some, mind you. I tried some tofu and black bean enchiladas last night…they were spectacular.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was brought up to love the same things, except it was my Mom doing the raising. :)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Both my parents raised me with a lot of culture. My dad collects wine. My mom cooks gourmet as a hobby. They are a perfect match. I love having parents who are interested in food - it's not so hard to find great places to eat when they come to visit (unlike some people's parents who only like very bland & boring foods)!

Typette said...

That is awesome that you are going to SF for that. And awesome you are going to try all these restaurants...

Your enthusiasm for stuff like this is inspiring. For reals.

It is great when you go to the really 'good' restaurants and tell them you are vegetarian or vegan, they really do have some AWESOME dishes for those people. Just tell them you are V and you're good. Better than trying to find something on a menu and only finding a salad. BORING... not all restaurants do this, but the yummy good ones do!

Tofu is awesome in soooo many ways, and more and more I'm learning of the healing/health properties and now I appreciate it so much that I'm going to have to add this as a staple in my diet.

BTW< i sent the books, but they said it could take a week ... weird.
Sent them almost a week ago, i think.