Monday, November 1, 2010

the post that never was....is


so, on my last post, i had NO intention of going where I did with it.  in fact, the title of it, actually had nothing to do (in my head) about the post, because i started writing one thing and ended up writing another and then never bothered to go back and change it. 

but, i really do want to post about this....

when my friend asked me if i was baptized in the Catholic church, i had no idea why she was asking.  I knew that for most of her life, she had been a part of that religion as well, and i had assumed also that maybe her boy was as well.  she said that they had been looking for different churches to see what beliefs may more closely match up with theirs, etc.  all very cool and exciting, i think, to be making those decisions.  then she went on to say that they were going to baptize their daughter into that religion.  then she told me that she was going to ask me something and i couldn't answer. 

WHAT?

what do you mean i can't answer?  but then i understood.  my friend asked me, in the most prolific way, to be their daughter's godmother.  and it wasn't put in a way of, "you WILL take care of my daughter when i am not around"...no, it was put in the best way that i can ever imagine it being put.  i'm keeping the exact words in my heart, and to myself, but it was along the lines of, "i want my daughter to be able to come to you and hear about what you think about things."  it really was one of the most honorable times ever. 

but then we had to get off the phone right then because we felt like we were on a first date and things got really awkward, especially because she didn't want an answer right then.   i asked her if it was so awkward, if she wanted to have our first kiss, she said no, and then we hung up.  :)

i just think that it was such an honor, not because i belonged to some certain religion, or because i have all my stuff together when it comes to kids, or because of any of the usual reasons...but just because she wanted her child to grow up knowing my thoughts on some things. 

how cool is that?

thanks, L..for making my month!

3 comments:

Kate said...

When Cowgirl asked me to be Munchkin Number 3's godmother, I just about lost it. what an honor that is. Congrats!

Pea said...

That's wonderful. I am Godmother to one of my sister's sons and it is an honor.

musings from a pilgrim soul said...

HAHAHAHA!!! The Fairy Godmother!!! I'm so glad you said yes!

I'm glad all of my research has led me to the Episcopal church. I think it will be a good fit, and I feel good about baptizing the little girly as such.

I miss you!!!

L

a little something about me and the life i choose to live!

the post that never was....is

so, on my last post, i had NO intention of going where I did with it.  in fact, the title of it, actually had nothing to do (in my head) about the post, because i started writing one thing and ended up writing another and then never bothered to go back and change it. 

but, i really do want to post about this....

when my friend asked me if i was baptized in the Catholic church, i had no idea why she was asking.  I knew that for most of her life, she had been a part of that religion as well, and i had assumed also that maybe her boy was as well.  she said that they had been looking for different churches to see what beliefs may more closely match up with theirs, etc.  all very cool and exciting, i think, to be making those decisions.  then she went on to say that they were going to baptize their daughter into that religion.  then she told me that she was going to ask me something and i couldn't answer. 

WHAT?

what do you mean i can't answer?  but then i understood.  my friend asked me, in the most prolific way, to be their daughter's godmother.  and it wasn't put in a way of, "you WILL take care of my daughter when i am not around"...no, it was put in the best way that i can ever imagine it being put.  i'm keeping the exact words in my heart, and to myself, but it was along the lines of, "i want my daughter to be able to come to you and hear about what you think about things."  it really was one of the most honorable times ever. 

but then we had to get off the phone right then because we felt like we were on a first date and things got really awkward, especially because she didn't want an answer right then.   i asked her if it was so awkward, if she wanted to have our first kiss, she said no, and then we hung up.  :)

i just think that it was such an honor, not because i belonged to some certain religion, or because i have all my stuff together when it comes to kids, or because of any of the usual reasons...but just because she wanted her child to grow up knowing my thoughts on some things. 

how cool is that?

thanks, L..for making my month!

3 comments:

Kate said...

When Cowgirl asked me to be Munchkin Number 3's godmother, I just about lost it. what an honor that is. Congrats!

Pea said...

That's wonderful. I am Godmother to one of my sister's sons and it is an honor.

musings from a pilgrim soul said...

HAHAHAHA!!! The Fairy Godmother!!! I'm so glad you said yes!

I'm glad all of my research has led me to the Episcopal church. I think it will be a good fit, and I feel good about baptizing the little girly as such.

I miss you!!!

L