Monday, November 9, 2009

i'm shocked....at myself


i have now done something i would never in a million years thought that i would have done.  i am doing something "organizational" to lose weight that isn't a group class.  i wouldn't even feel the need to say anything on here for a couple reasons, but then i said, "screw it" because i'm just so excited about it.  first off, i didn't want to hear the lectures about how i "really didn't need to lose weight".  i know my body...i'm over the stint i did with an eating disorder years ago and in order for me to be the optimal me...i feel that i need to shed some extra packaging.  secondly, i also didn't want to hear about how what i'm doing is a glorified version of what i could figure out on my own.  i get that....i'm a smart cookie, and especially when it comes to food.  i can count calories with the best of them.  i wanted to do something to get some idea of portion control in to the scheme of things.  i fully also understand that me in a weight loss program is strictly a psychological, mind thing.  so, if i can play some tricks on my head...i'm good with that. 

anyway, i started today...i am so elated.  most of all, because i was NEVER hungry throughout the day, as i typically am.  i was shocked.  i'll keep you updated on progress.  kudos to nilsa on guiding me through some programs WITHOUT judgements...you "got" me! 

3 comments:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Oh yay! Glad you found a program that works for you! Can't wait to hear updates!

Kathryn said...

Well, my first thought WAS "She doesn't look like she needs to lose weight" but i understand the personal comfort zone thing.

I struggled with anorexia as a teen & in my twenties (tho not severe) & never realized what that was doing to my metabolism so that when i did begin to eat more "normally" the flip side is weight gain. I've had problems with that for a long time now. So i completely understand trying to stay at a normal weight but eat healthy.

I think whatever you need to do for motivation - some folks do well with groups, others on specific diets, etc. - is a good thing.

My only concern with a group is that often what they recommend for a healthy diet is not. http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search?q="food+pyramid"

All that blah blah blah is to say, i'm not judging you, don't think anyone else would.

LittlePea said...

yeah. As I posted before I had a wierd flirtation with anorexia in my teens too. It was more of a mental health issue than it was a body image issue. Once I put the things in my life that were out of order back together, I never had that problem again.

I totally get the personal comfort level thing. I recently lost about 8 pounds which, doesn't sound like much, but it is when you're 4'11". I didn't like the way I looked in my vacation pictures that I took back in July so my goal was not necessarily to lose weight but to feel good about my body again. Just making excersize and healthy foods a priority again gave me a boost with out even looking at the scale(I don't own one and won't keep one in my house). So I hear you my dear. Just make sure you eat plenty of veggies and good protiens. Don't over-excersize but by the first week I bet you'll start to feel really great. Keep us posted.

Also I don't know if this helps, but I took a before and after picture just to keep me motivated. I can't post them though because I won't post pix of myself in my bathing suit-no way.....

a little something about me and the life i choose to live!

i'm shocked....at myself

i have now done something i would never in a million years thought that i would have done.  i am doing something "organizational" to lose weight that isn't a group class.  i wouldn't even feel the need to say anything on here for a couple reasons, but then i said, "screw it" because i'm just so excited about it.  first off, i didn't want to hear the lectures about how i "really didn't need to lose weight".  i know my body...i'm over the stint i did with an eating disorder years ago and in order for me to be the optimal me...i feel that i need to shed some extra packaging.  secondly, i also didn't want to hear about how what i'm doing is a glorified version of what i could figure out on my own.  i get that....i'm a smart cookie, and especially when it comes to food.  i can count calories with the best of them.  i wanted to do something to get some idea of portion control in to the scheme of things.  i fully also understand that me in a weight loss program is strictly a psychological, mind thing.  so, if i can play some tricks on my head...i'm good with that. 

anyway, i started today...i am so elated.  most of all, because i was NEVER hungry throughout the day, as i typically am.  i was shocked.  i'll keep you updated on progress.  kudos to nilsa on guiding me through some programs WITHOUT judgements...you "got" me! 

3 comments:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Oh yay! Glad you found a program that works for you! Can't wait to hear updates!

Kathryn said...

Well, my first thought WAS "She doesn't look like she needs to lose weight" but i understand the personal comfort zone thing.

I struggled with anorexia as a teen & in my twenties (tho not severe) & never realized what that was doing to my metabolism so that when i did begin to eat more "normally" the flip side is weight gain. I've had problems with that for a long time now. So i completely understand trying to stay at a normal weight but eat healthy.

I think whatever you need to do for motivation - some folks do well with groups, others on specific diets, etc. - is a good thing.

My only concern with a group is that often what they recommend for a healthy diet is not. http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search?q="food+pyramid"

All that blah blah blah is to say, i'm not judging you, don't think anyone else would.

LittlePea said...

yeah. As I posted before I had a wierd flirtation with anorexia in my teens too. It was more of a mental health issue than it was a body image issue. Once I put the things in my life that were out of order back together, I never had that problem again.

I totally get the personal comfort level thing. I recently lost about 8 pounds which, doesn't sound like much, but it is when you're 4'11". I didn't like the way I looked in my vacation pictures that I took back in July so my goal was not necessarily to lose weight but to feel good about my body again. Just making excersize and healthy foods a priority again gave me a boost with out even looking at the scale(I don't own one and won't keep one in my house). So I hear you my dear. Just make sure you eat plenty of veggies and good protiens. Don't over-excersize but by the first week I bet you'll start to feel really great. Keep us posted.

Also I don't know if this helps, but I took a before and after picture just to keep me motivated. I can't post them though because I won't post pix of myself in my bathing suit-no way.....